- Difficulty Easy
- 1 Ingredients
Vegemite Scrolls using wholemeal flour and lashings of cheese for the kids aren’t as hard to make as you might think.
This simple-to-make lunchbox snack is a wholesome and filling ingredient for a fun lunch for the kids, which is exactly why we love these wholemeal, cheesy vegemite scrolls.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- 500g (3 3/4 cups) wholemeal bread flour
- 7g sachet (2 tsp) dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 350ml warm water, approximately
- 1 tbs canola oil*
- 1 1/2 tbs Vegemite
- 1 cup grated reduced fat tasty cheese*
- Canola oil spray*
*Products available with theHeart Foundation Tick. Remember all fresh fruit and vegetables automatically qualify for the Tick.
- Combine flour, yeast and sugar in a large bowl and then stir in canola oil and enough warm water to form a dough.
- Turn dough onto a clean, lightly floured bench and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Add a little extra flour to the bench as required.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with cooking spray, place dough in bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and stand in a warm spot for 30-40 minutes or until dough has almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan-forced).
- Punch down dough with a fist and then knead again on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to form a 30cm x 30cm square.
- Spread Vegemite evenly over dough and sprinkle with 3/4 cups of the grated cheese. Roll up dough and cut into 10 pieces.
- Grease a large oven tray with cooking spray. Place the vegemite scrolls pieces, cut side down, on a prepared tray and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Cover the vegemite scrolls loosely with a clean, dry tea towel and return to warm spot for 15 minutes or until doubled in size once more.
- Bake the vegemite scrolls in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped with knuckles.