After severe illness I am no longer able to teach. Centrelink have decided to stop all my payments (I have gone back to uni to try and start a new career) because they said I have a degree so I should use it and not be studying another. I have medical exemption from this line of work. I am now stuck with no income what so ever (I am actively looking for part-time work to fit with my studies with no luck yet).

I absolutley love my new degree I am studying but I have to choose whether I can continue (highly unlikely with no money) or try and get a full time job (not liking my luck as I am getting no interviews for even part time work).

I feel absolutely terrible knowing that something that has ruined my life is continuing to do so when I am trying to hard to get back on track…

If anyone has some advice – please feel free to share.

Posted anonymously, 17th July 2015

Post your story
  • Maybe you should go through the Disability Support process with medical documentation and those that stipulate you cannot work in your original position at all. If you were a Mum on a Supporting Mother’s Benefit and studying you would be paid. High School students get extra allowance during school terms I know a student who was paid hess during school hoolidays than when at school during terms. If you have no other income you should be entitled to some support unless your assets or other income are too high.


  • yes you should be able to apply for a different payment though? if you are studying, it should be austudy payment, not newstart etc.


  • I suggest appealing to Centrelink. There are formal avenues for reviewing a decision, and if you are medically unfit for a role I can’t see how they could expect you to look for work in that area. Ask for a review, and consider taking it to the AAT if that is unsatisfactory.


Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating