- Serves 8
- 1.5 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
A delicious, classic Aussie dessert, perfect for any summer celebration.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 7 egg whites
- pinch cream tartar
- 1 3/4 caster sugar
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp corn flour
- Edible flowers, to decorate, optional
- 300mL thickened cream
- 250g mascarpone
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce
- 4 Bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 130°C fan forced. Draw a 25cm circle on a sheet of non-stick baking paper and place, marked side down on a large greased baking tray.
- Pour the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add cream of tartar, whisk on high speed to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until meringue is thick and glossy. Beat on high speed a further 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, whisk 30 seconds. Fold in the cornflour.
- Drop 12 heaped spoonfuls of the meringue on the tray around the inside of the circle to create wreath shape. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until crisp to the touch. Turn the oven off, leave the pavlova to cool completely in the oven with the door closed. (this may take 4 hours, so cook the day ahead.)
- For the topping: Whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold in the mascarpone. Dollop 2 tablespoons caramel sauce over the cream mixture and gently swirl.
- Just before serving, place the pavlova wreath on a serving plate. Top with the caramel cream and sliced banana. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce. Scatter over the flowers. Serve.
On a warm summer’s day store the untopped pavlova in a cool dry place and top just before serving.