- Serves 8
- 80 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 14 Ingredients
Donna Hay: My boys have been such troopers recently and with home schooling almost done I’ve decided to use two of their favourites to bake them a cookies and cream layer cake and treat them to something a little extra special. Cookies and cream have collided with their favourite chocolate bar KitKat making a double yum layer.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 175g unsalted butter, chopped
- ½ cup (50g) Nestlé Bakers’ Choice Cocoa, sifted
- 3 cups (450g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons bicarbonate of (baking) soda, sifted
- 3 cups (660g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 375g cream cheese, chopped
- ½ cup sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500ml thickened cream
- 1 x 170g KitKat Double Cookies and Cream, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF).
- Place the water, butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted.
- Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a bowl, add the cocoa mixture and whisk to combine. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Divide the mixture between 2 x 20cm round lightly greased cake tins lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the cream cheese, vanilla and the icing sugar in an electric mixer and beat for 6 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the cream and beat for a further 30-45 seconds or until thick. Remove ¼ of the mixture. Add the KitKat Double Cookies and Cream into remaining mixture and fold through.
- Trim the tops from the cakes and slice in half horizontally. Place one cake layer on a plate and spread with ¼ of the KitKat cookies and cream icing. Repeat with remaining layers and finish with the plain icing on top of the cake.