- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
Crayfish is a firm favourite in our house! Especially fresh ocean caught crayfish.
My husband is a keen spear fisherman and he’ll often come home with at least one lovely big crayfish. This is great because I love my crays!
I hope you enjoy this recipe – it’s one I’ve used a lot over the years. It also doesn’t require lots of ingredients – just a few basics you are bound to have in your pantry and fridge already.
If you don’t have any fresh crayfish available, you could recreate this recipe with some Lobster Tails placed in an ovenproof dish (rather then their own shell). The flavour of the lobster will be a little milder than the crays so this may even suit some better.
Is there anything else you would add to the ingredients list for this Crayfish Mornay Recipe?
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup Grated cheese
- 80g Butter
- 1/2 cup Self Raising flour
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 Diced onion
- 1 Clove of garlic diced
- 1 Crayfish meat
- 1 Salt, pepper & lemon to season
- In a pot of boiling salt water add a green crayfish and cook for 8 minutes of until flesh is firm (don't overcook!)
- In a saucepan melt butter and add flour, stir until crumbly
- Add milk gradually continuously stirring, add grated cheese and minced garlic, turn off heat when desired consistency is reached.
- Fry diced onion and garlic until clear, add in shredded crayfish meat and season to taste. Transfer into cheese sauce and pour into fray shell, bake under a hot grill for approximately 6 minutes or until golden, serve with lemon!
Crayfish flesh can be a little overpowering on its own so this Crayfish Mornay is a nice way to mellow out the flavour!