Delicious gluten free orange cake with a scrumptious orange icing!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 oranges
- 1 cup raw sugar or natural sweetener of your choice ( I used coconut sugar)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 - 2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- dash milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- poppy seeds for decorating
- Scrub oranges and then place in a pot (skin and all) covered with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for one hour. Cool.
- Puree the oranges (skin and all).
- Using an electric blender, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and glossy (approx 12 minutes).
- Add the orange puree and almond meal to the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into a cake tin of your choice and bake in a preheated oven (160 degrees) for 60 minutes.
- Once cake is cooled using the icing sugar, rind, butter and milk to create an orange icing (Mix together to your consistancy and liking). Spread over cake. I also added poppy seeds on top.