Hello!

11 Comments

This week, a heartbroken family mourns the loss of their “little pocket rocket”. Beautiful four-year-old Summer Steer, little sister to Finn and a beloved daughter to Brad and Andrea, lost her life in a tragic household accident.

Sometime on Sunday, unbeknownst to her family, Summer ingested a small button lithium battery, the kind found in many household items.

Summer was rushed to hospital after becoming uncharacteristically ill. When scans picked up the presence of the battery it became obvious what the problem was.

When swallowed, these small batteries can get caught in the oesophagus and start to burn a hole. The chemical reaction is triggered by the body’s saliva and can keep burning through various layers of tissue and organs right through to the spine.

Although she fought bravely, Summer tragically lost her battle.

The family thanked all medical staff and helicopter crew who treated Summer at the Noosa and Royal Brisbane and Women’s hospitals.

“Sadly what occurred could have happened to anyone with small children, and we sincerely hope that this tragedy will act as a warning to all parents,” Summer’s parents said in a statement. “Remain vigilant, and if you are in any doubt seek medical assistance immediately.”


Posted by makimoo, 3rd July 2013


Post your story
  • Such a tragic story. It can happen to any small child so we must be so careful. Thought Ma and sympathies to family.

    Reply

  • so damn sad! poor family. i hope that child wasn’t suffering too much. my gosh. so so sad. no words….

    Reply

  • it s a great top story

    Reply

  • How tragic, thankyou to the parents for sharing and issuing this warning, how many of us replace these batteries and just throw them in a jar, or the junk drawer in the kitchen, I know I have heaps of these batteries laying around because I use them is many things including my kitchen scales, and tend to replace them every couple of months so I always have spares, I had never given it a thought how dangerous they could be, RIP little one.

    Reply

  • Oh my goodness how sad, thank you for the warning

    Reply

  • That’s just so sad. Those batteries are going away in a safe spot.

    Reply

  • That is just the saddest thing. I will put those batteries away as vigilantly as medications after reading that.

    Reply

  • there should be more awareness about these batteries. they are dangerous

    Reply

  • Such a beautiful little girl she was. It really is awful. It could have happened to anyone so easily which is quite scarey too.

    Reply

  • oh so sorry to hear

    Reply

  • how terrible. my heart goes out to these families

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join