Are you annoyed always picking up hair clips, hair ties in every nook and corner of your home? Dumping everything in a dressing table drawer results in ‘out of sight, out of mind’ for your little girl?
Then creating this quick craft project can solve the hair accessories puzzle for you. It doubles up as wall décor too, which is an added bonus.
- 1 medium sized Round Wooden Embroidery Hoop with hanging loop at the back
- Greyish coloured fabric for background – enough to cover the hoop comfortably.
- Fusible Interfacing same size as the background fabric
- Dark Brown Pure Wool Felt
- Grey / Black Felt for Backing
- Black DMC Cotton Thread for her eyes and nose
- Pink DMC Cotton Thread for her mouth
- Brown DMC Wool Thread for Hair
- Multi-coloured Satin Ribbons
- 30cm by 20cm in size Bright or design fabric for her Bow
- Sewing Needle
- Hot Glue Gun
- Cut 2 pieces of background fabric to fit the embroidery hoop. Stick these two background fabric pieces together using the fusible interfacing. This will help stiffen the fabric.
- Glue ribbons to the background fabric from behind the hoop using the hot glue.
- Set the fabric and ribbons in the embroidery hoop before starting with the face design. Tip: Fabric and ribbons should be fixed in the embroidery hoop.
- Cut the brown felt in two half circles. Use the hot glue gun to attach these two semi-circles as hair for the Lazy Lucy. Tip: You can cut hair in shape, colour, style to suit your child’s taste.
- Cut 2 semi–circles smaller in size to use as ponies for Lucy. Use hot glue to attach these semi circles on short edge at the back of the embroidery hoop.
- Create eyes and nose using DMC black cotton thread. Running stitch is used to create these elements. Stain stich is used to create pupils in the eyes. Leave tiny dot in the centre of these pupils to get realistic effect. Use Pink DMC thread to create mouth. Running stitch is use here. Create hair effect using running stitch sparingly across the felt with Wool thread.
- Cut out 2cm wide strip from the multi-coloured fabric to tie the bow. Fold the fabric strip in half and sew to create 1cm strip to tie the bow in middle. Stitch the edges of remaining 15cm by 18cm fabric by folding it in half.
- Fold the 7cm by 9cm fabric in accordion style and tie off with the 1cm strip in the middle to create the bow. Sew the 1cm strip tightly to hold the pleats in place.
- Attach the bow to Lucy’s hair using black cotton thread or a hot glue gun.
- Attach big round black or grey felt at the back of the embroidery hoop to hide all the threads and glue work. Also this backing ensures there are no scuff marks on wall from hanging the clip holder.
- Your beautiful hair clip holder is ready!
Use your child's favourite colours to get them interested in using the Lazy Lucy for storing their hair clips. The fabric/ felt used for face and hair should be matching to that of your child to help them resonate with Lazy Lucy.