Hello!

Hi, has anyone been pregnant before being in the higher BMI bracket? (I am 140kg). Looking for advice and hearing how your pregnancy went. Thanks.

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • I would seek advice from your doctor. I know someone who recently lost her baby at 20 week gestation and the cause of death was ‘Maternal obesity’. She is now working on losing weight before falling pregnant again.

• My friend was, I know she chose to speak with a dietitian to ensure she didn’t put on much weight during pregnancy.

• Oh wow, I hope it all goes well for you. Average weight women struggle with carrying pregnancies to term, I imagine your weight will exacerbate things. Good luck

• I was 114 when I became pregnant and finished at 130kg! In NSW they talked about my weight a lot and it got me down! Especially at the 20 week scan when they told me I shouldn’t put in any weight and I had already put on 4kg.

I was high risk everything as also 43 years old!

Although I would always say, be the healthiest version of yourself, I had a wonderful pregnancy with no complications! I did get preeclampsia after birth, but have recovered well. I lost the 14kg within 3 weeks of giving birth without trying, so was a lot of fluid!

• Seek medical advice. Wishing you all the best. Take care.

• I am not sure if I’ve commented before, but please talk to your GP. And congratulations and good luck!

• Absolutely visit your GP and have a conversation. Congratulations and wishing you the best.

• GP & dietician should be able to provide the most sound advice and support.

• Your doctor is the best point of reference.

• I would ask your obstetrician

• i was the same as you. i barely walked. but had normal birth. there is always miracles happen, trust your body

• I agree with others – lean on your GP.

• The dr will watch for any increased weight gain / rapid weight gain. You will be classed as hi risk so extra scans eg.

• Rely on your GP for any questions and help with it.

• If you’re concerned about your weight, even while pregnant you can still exercise, and it’s meant to actually make the labour easier if you do. I didn’t have a high BMI, but I did exercise all the way through with both of mine. I even continued running on the treadmill with my second until about 8mths. It’s important not to overdo it though, especially if you’re not already used to it.

Post your reply
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join