Looks as though my husband and I are about to seperate. I don’t know how I will be able to afford to rent somewhere with my two little kids . How do you single mums do it. Any advice? We will be sharing custody so who can claim the single parent allowance etc. feel a little lost and scared

Want more real mum questions sent to you?

You'll need to check this email to complete your signup.
  • Contact the child support agency to help with that even if it is a private agreement between the 2 of you. Let your children’s school know your new address when you move and any custody details that they need to be aware of.

  • Make sure you set up a MyGov account if you don’t already have one. If you visit a Centrelink office, make sure it offers Medicare services as well. Centrelink will help you with a code to get linked to them and Medicare at the same time, then you will need to go online and apply for Family Tax Benefit and Parenting Payment depending on how old your children are. Applications are online only. You will also need to go to Medicare to update your medicare card – you will need a new one with you and the children on there. The children will be on both cards. Make sure you have your own bank account i.e. in your name only. Centrelink will also be able to give you information (pamphlet) on local groups including housing organisations that may be able to help with accommodation eg. Anglicare and other organisations in your area. You may be eligible to receive rent assistance when you start renting. Start there. Good luck.

  • If you’re splitting custody completely in half, you can both claim govt assistance. If your hubby is working and you aren’t, for financial purposes, best to claim you have custody as you’ll need more govt assistance

  • I can’t add much more to the comments already. I wish you and your children well.

  • Research with Centrelink but also your local family centre to see what’s available to you. Also if you need help reach out. Goodluck I hope it goes smoothly for you.

  • You will be eligible for payments through the government for support, and child support if you’ll be the primary caregiver for the kids. Start looking into those factors now if you are following through with the separation. There’s payment calculators online you can use as a guide.

  • Cyber hugs. Get some legal advice if you can, and don’t forget to eat, (even if you don’t feel like it), and try to sleep. Getting everything organized is hard. Even though it’s hard now, it will get better. I promise, even though it may not feel it at the moment. Give yourself credit for all the good things you are doing. Sort accommodation and finances, read budgeting books, articles etc and know that you can do it.

  • You can ring Citizens advice or look on line and there might be advice on that subject or tell you where to go. Depends where you live and you can put your name down for public housing, it can be overwhelming but there is help for you and support.

  • You may want to have a chat with Centerlink, best to visit them in person.

  • I think asking centerlink to find out what you can claim etc. Also sit down with hubby and talking splitting what you both have. Hugs from me.

  • Book time at Centrelink and see if you are eligible for single-parent and rent assistance. Looking for a property that you can share with another single MUM might work out for you. Best of luck for the future.

  • Is there a family member or friend you can stay with for awhile until you sort it out? In the meantime make a call to Centrelink. I hope you manage ok

  • Aw bless, I can’t advice really, but sending strength and love your way ! xx

Post your reply
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating