Toffee Old School Fete Style is a bright and colourful treat designed to bring back those memories of school fetes!
Toffee always seemed like such a treat; perhaps because we never really had them at home unless someone from the neighbourhood came around selling them … or you’d been to a school fete.
The only other place I remember seeing Toffee in coloured patty papers was at birthday parties; the good old fashioned birthday parties at home.
Toffee Old School Fete Style is a perfect recipe to have up your sleeve if you’re asked to bake for a bake sale! Even better, you’ll be a star and the oven won’t even have been turned on. Guaranteed to sell and quickly at the kids cake stalls, these are always a winner.
If you’re having a birthday, Toffee Old School Fete Style is a simple way to add a table treat in the colour of your party theme as well. We mixed red, green, and blue for Sesame Street!
Making toffee does require a very careful hand and following the recipe closely. Be extra careful as molten toffee can burn so badly. We would definitely recommend that children not be close by when you are making toffee – just in case they are tempted to poke a little finger in to test!
Choose good quality colouring for your toffee – the colours are then bright and clear.
Ingredients (makes 15 )
- 3 Cups White Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup White Vinegar
- Food Colouring
- 15 Patty Pans
- Optional Sprinkles
- Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in a saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar disolves. *Tip* Sugar needs to be stirred continually to avoid burning.
- Increase heat and bring to boil for 20 minutes. Mixture is ready when a small drop hardens when dipped in cold water.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly until all bubbles subside.
- Stir through drops of chosen food colouring until mixture reaches desired colour. More drops equal brighter toffee's.
- Pour small quantities into colourful patty pans.
- If decorating with sprinkles, allow mixture to settle for 5 minutes
- Place toffees in the fridge until set. Allow to set overnight for best results.