I’m always looking for new ways to make my boys school lunch boxes exciting and varied with a balanced mix of healthy foods and a homemade treat.
Below is my recipe for Choc Fruit Rice Bars. It’s a great way to introduce fussy eaters to dried fruit. Any dried fruit can be used, so to vary the recipe try currants, dried banana chips, pineapple or apple pieces. Desiccated coconut and sunflower seeds are also interesting alternatives.
Choc Fruit Rice Bars
1/4 cup (60g) chocolate chips
2 tbspn (30g) diced dried apricots
2 tbspn (40g) sultanas
2 cups (60g) Rice Bubbles
50g unsalted butter
1 tbspn (20g) chocolate chips, extra
1. Grease and line a 22cm x 11cm loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Combine chocolate chips, apricots, sultanas and Rice Bubbles in a large mixing bowl.
3. Place butter and marshmallows in a saucepan and melt over low heat until smooth and combined, mixing constantly.
4. Pour marshmallow mixture over Rice Bubble mix and combine well.
5. Transfer mixture to the prepared loaf pan and press mixture down firming using the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips and press down into mixture. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from refrigerate and cut into 12. Allow to cool completely.