- Serves 8
- 45 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 13 Ingredients
A delightful and indulgent twist on the usual Christmas Pavlova. This summery dessert will impress and have family and friends lining up with bowls and spoons at the ready.
Merry Christmas One and ALL.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- For the meringue:
- 5 medium egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour (corn NOT wheaten)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- flaked almonds, toasted (for top of roulade)
- For the filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 150ml brandy custard
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 125g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 125g kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- extra strawberry for decoration
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- To make the meringue: Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add 1 tbsp caster sugar and whisk again to form stiff, but soft, peaks. Add half the remaining caster sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy. Quickly whisk in the rest of the sugar and the cornflour. Spoon the mixture into a 33 x 21cm Swiss-roll tin lined with baking paper and level the surface.
- Bake meringue for 45 mins in the centre of the oven until it’s just firm to the touch. Cool, uncovered, for at least 1 hr.
- To make the filling: Pour the cream and brandy custard into a bowl, add the icing sugar and whisk it until it forms soft peaks, then fold in the chopped strawberries and kiwi fruit.
- Turn the meringue out on to a fresh sheet of baking paper, dusted with icing sugar. Spread the strawberry, kiwi mixture over. Roll up from one of the short sides, using the paper to help. Sprinkle the top of the roulade with the toasted almonds. Transfer to serving dish and keep chilled until ready to serve. Serve decorated with extra strawberry if desired.
You can certainly omit the brandy custard for children if you wish ...simply use ordinary custard or try mascarpone or maybe even a touch of white chocolate. Blue berries instead of strawberries/kiwi fruit and grated white chocolate on top of the roulade would give a winter wonderland effect. What ever you choose I do hope you have fun and enjoy. From my home to yours, from my family to yours please do have a Merry and Bright Christmas. xoxo