- Serves 2
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
An Italian dish which means 'fried mozzarella sandwich'
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 8 slices white bread, crust removed
- 250 gm mozzarella, sliced fine
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 4 eggs
- to season salt
- to season black pepper
- to deep fry vegetable oil
- to garnish chilli oil
- to garnish dill leaves
- Take 4 slices of bread, lay flat and place the thin slices of mozzarella on top. Make sure that the cheese slices are trimmed to stay within the bread slices.
- Cover with the remaining 4 slices of bread; so essentially 4 sandwiches with thin slices of cheese in between.
- Dip the edges of the sandwich in flour and then use water to press the edges firmly gluing it together. Make sure that the edges are sealed well and tight.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sandwiches in a deep bowl and pour half the egg mixture on top making sure the surface is coated well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Turn the bread slices over carefully and pour the remaining egg mixture; let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a pan and fry the sandwiches, one at a time, till golden brown and crisp.
- Place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Garnish with chilli oil and dill leaves.