Hello!

5 Comments

My mum was told this story. As my mum waited for her bus to arrive she was seated with another lady.
They both greeted one another and so started their conversation while waiting patiently for the bus to arrive. Mum said the lady she just met started to ask her questions about her day and mum said she was preparing for her grandsons party. The lady then began to tell my mum a story that 30 years ago her son was 4 years old and they had a party for him with balloons. The week after they popped all the balloons and one of those balloons her husband told his son to create like a mini balloon. I remember always doing this as a kid you suck in the balloon into your mouth after it has been popped and twist it around with your hands. Well this is what this boy did but when he sucked in the air for the balloon the left over piece of balloon entered his throat and blocked his airways . They tried everything even the paramedics couldn’t revive him and so her son died. Her husband was so devastated and blamed himself for his dons death that her husband passed away 3 years after. When my mum told me this ladies devastating story and loss I have been petrified to give my children balloons to play with. I always tell her story to friends and family just to make them more aware of how dangerous balloons can be around children.


Posted by mom63786, 25th October 2016


Post your story
  • Very important to spread this story indeed. It could save some life. :-(

    Reply

  • A very sad story,you just wouldn’t think this would cause a death.

    Reply

  • Balloons are such a staple at family celebrations. I do remember making the mini balloons from popped bigger ones. I think my kids have done it too, not often though. Now I am a nan, I will be passing this story on to my kids

    Reply

  • We did this as children too and not something we passed onto our children. Such a tragedy for the family.

    Reply

  • What a tragic event. I’ve never really thought about doing that with popped balloons and part of the rules of balloons in our house is that once they’re popped, we pick up the pieces immediately. I’m always paranoid the kids will swallow part of the popped balloon. Thanks for raising awareness about this issue though.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join