Hello!

19 Comments

So I found out from the doctor that my daughter and I have scabies. I’m not sure who we got it from or where but it’s my first time having scabies and my two year old has it the worse :( I’ve got the treatment and picked up something from the chemist to help with the itching but the itch is driving me crazy!! I’ve just been cleaning and washing up everything and the girl that was serving me at the chemist told me that when she had scabies she poured some bleach in the bath tub and just soaked in it. Any tips and suggestions to minimise the mites or know of a product that works really well with the itch and getting rid of all the mites. Also has anyone tried the bleach method?


Posted by trishoet, 19th September 2014


Post your story
  • Whilst the bleach method may work for staph eradication and so on, I’m not sure it would for scabies, as they burrow underneath the skin.

    Reply

  • Bathing in bleach sounds a bit harsh, don’t think I would try it. My hubby had a mild case when our son was only tiny. His cleared up ok with a Dr prescription

    Reply

  • That are so hard to get rid off … way worse than Lice.

    Reply

  • nice story to have a read

    Reply

  • I would not be taking the advice regarding bleach; sounds somewhat dangerous!

    Reply

  • I had scabies a few years ago and I got some cream from the chemist
    I’m not sure what it was called, the doctor rexommended it but I had to put it all over my body, head to toe, for 12hours
    I put it on, and went to bed, woke up and washed it off
    I didn’t have a problem after that
    The cream also killed all the ones that were in my bed

    Reply

  • Thanks ladies! I didn’t try the bleach method and just stuck to what the doctor has prescribed the itching is still occasionally there but not as worse as before. Have been doing my washing every 2 days religiously and never wearing the same thing for more than 8 hours and it has helped a lot. Thanks so much for the tips and advice xo

    Reply

  • Hope by now you and your daughter are feeling better.

    Reply

  • I sure hope you are feeling better.

    Reply

  • That sounds terrible. You poor thing and your daughter too. Would teatree help? you can wash clothes and bedding it and use the spray to treat surfaces and things you can;t wash. Good luck and I hope you fell better soon.

    Reply

  • I am sorry to hear of your predicament. I haven’t had to deal with this infection myself though I can remember my aunty looking after a cousin one time that had contracted it from school, she took the iron to every material surface that could have been touched and hot washed EVERYTHING. Regarding the itching the only short term relief product that doesn’t sound as extreme as bleach that I could recommend would be calamine. Hope it sorts itself out for you both sooner rather than later.

    Reply

  • I dont think i would be putting bleach in my bath regardless of what i had.
    I think you just need to stick with what the doctor has given you and maybe get some calamine lotion to help stop the itching.

    Reply

  • The bleach method sounds rather dangerous, to be honest.

    Reply

  • Just be carefull I would get a second opinion and even seen a skin specialist, I was once told I had scabbies once and after using the treatment it got worse I ended up at a specialist and he just about laughed when I walked in because he said I was about the 20th person to come in this wk being told the same thing and in fact it was just a virius in the air that I got and it lasted for about 12 wks this was about 5 yrs ago and only this wk my sister has got the same thing.

    Reply

  • Damish is right in her advice. Heat does kill the mites and anything that for some reason can’t be washed and tumble dried or hung out in the sun you can put in a vacuum sealed bag for a couple of weeks. I think the reason the girl might have given you that advice is that a thimble full of bleach became in favour again to put in a bath full of water to eliminate staph infections etc. This was actually recommended by the royal children’s hospital site for staphylococcal elimination. She hasn’t really given you ill advice, but I’m not sure if this is appropriate for scabies as well and probably would ask the dr or pharmacist. It’s the droppings that us humans are highly allergic to and Damish is right it takes a few weeks to fully recover from the itch. It’s probably worse at night when you get in bed or when you become warm, so for yourself perhaps I would be asking the pharmacist for an older generation antihistamine that may cause drowsiness and is suitable to take in the evening. There are also antihistamine syrups that can be used for your daughter. Cortisone cream will help bring down the inflammation and with the itch. It’s hard to say where you may have picked it up from, but generally you need close personal contact with people for 20 minutes or more, or so I was lead to believe. Good luck.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join