Hello!

19 Comments

After their daughter complained of a headache followed by her son vomiting they assumed the family had caught the flu but they were so very wrong…

When Sarah Klebs’ daughter Caroline complained of a headache then later her son, Gavin, started vomiting, she assumed the family had caught the flu, the Alaska Dispatch News reported.

Sadly a day later, after the family was pulled out of their recreational cabin near Big Lake, she realised it wasn’t a virus — it was carbon monoxide poisoning.

“How would you know?” Ms Klebs told the Alaska Dispatch News. “Prior to this, I never would have thought about it.”

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Medium Rubs
Nando’s Medium Rubs

Submitting your rating…

The propane-powered appliance at their cabin had started leaking carbon monoxide — an odourless gas — investigators later determined.

Ms Klebs and 8-year-old Caroline recovered, but Gavin did not. The 10-year-old was found in the main area of the home.

The heartbroken couple are speaking out about what happened to warn other families about the hidden danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

They are encouraging families to install a carbon monoxide detector in their home.

CO is a gas that’s both odorless and colorless. It’s found in combustion (exhaust) fumes produced by:

heaters
fireplaces
car mufflers
space heaters
charcoal grills
car engines
portable generators

Everyone is exposed to small amounts of carbon monoxide throughout the day. However, inhaling too much of it can cause CO poisoning.

Our thoughts are with the family.

Share your comments below.

Getty images

  • I never knew this could happen. My sympathy to the Klebs family on the loss of their son Gavin.

    Reply

  • Never even thought a fridge was powered this way – what a terrible thing to happen on holiday.

    Reply

  • How horrible! I never would have even thought that could happen!

    Reply

  • oh how terribly sad, my heart goes out to the family. Who would think that a fridge could leak carbon monoxide??

    Reply

  • Oh dear, so very sad, my thoughts are with the family.

    Reply

  • OMG, this is so sad. I had no idea this could happen. I’ll be looking at getting one of these detectors. My thoughts go out to this family.

    Reply

  • How tragic and sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to this heartbroken family.

    Reply

  • What a weird freaky thing to happen.

    Reply

  • So glad we don’t have gas connected!

    Reply

  • that is so sad for this family. always so many things we need to keep on top of to ensure we and our children are as safe as we can be – one would never think to check the fridge!

    Reply

  • oh that is so shocking and sad! i had never heard of this happening! my gosh i feel sorry for that poor family! what a tragic thing for them to experience.

    Reply

  • How very sad. We get our heater checked every year and hope that’s enough.

    Reply

  • Very sad to read,my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

    Reply

  • I only have a sense of smell occasionally and even then it is poor. Years ago, my gas stove was leaking and I could have been gassed. Luckily I always keep my home well ventilated, even in winter and at night and I realised something was wrong when my bottle of gas ran out far too soon. People don’t realise various faulty appliances emit carbon monoxide.

    Reply

  • How devastating for this family. How would anyone know they are being exposed to carbon monoxide?

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join