Portuguese Spinach is a wonderfully healthy baby food that the whole family will love. Serve with potato mash, as a side to any meat or fish dish.
The secret ingredients in this Portuguese Spinach are nutmeg and slowly cooked garlic.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach, or 1 box of frozen
- 100ml milk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat olive oil and butter in large pan on low heat. Add garlic and nutmeg and stir until cooked.
- Meanwhile steam or blanch spinach.
- Mix milk and flour in a mug, then add to pan with garlic. Increase heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Stir and once thickened add drained spinach.
- Allow to cool slightly then blend/whizz to a smooth texture. (Add more milk if required.)
This is my version of a traditional Portuguese dish. I add leftovers to curries or pasta sauce for extra flavour and nutrients.