It’s 8 AM!!! As usual I had got up late; as we loved to chat late into the nights, spill out whatever is in our minds, discuss all worldly matters as if those were the burdens on our shoulders. Never realized when we dozed off and completely forget about all of it the next day. I was rushing to the bus stop so that I don’t miss the shuttle and get late for office. It was a usual routine every day, same faces to see, the scorching sun with everyone busy in the race of life. In between all this I never failed to take notice of a young man dressed very shabbily with bowl in his hands and few pennies lying around trying to beg and gain every people’s attention passing by. This did disturb me every day as to why wasn’t he putting efforts to work hard and achieve his bread rather than begging all day. I always felt I had to convey my thoughts to him some day and give him boost to build up his life than wasting it like this. Though I was getting late I couldn’t resist. His eyes tinkled with joy of expectations as I walked towards him and he did try his best to attract my care. But what he had definitely not expected was the showers of preach from my end; but I didn’t stop. As I started clearing up on why he can’t search for suitable job to support his life his face started suddenly fading down and I sensed there was something definitely off beam. At this I stopped and waited for him to respond. After a very long pause he started clarifying his state of sorrow. I was dumbfounded to hear that he was detected with Lung Cancer and he was not in position to work nor did he have enough money to get operated. My jaws dropped as I heard this, few minutes back I was cussing this guy for not being thoughtful in life and now that I know his actual story I couldn’t stop being even more guilty. He was very young to die so soon, I had to help this guy somehow and wash my hands of ill thinking about him. That day I went to office in deep thoughts, life isn’t the same at all times. It can change anytime! I decided to raise fund from my friends and colleagues so that we had enough to get his operation successful. The next morning I approached him again and this time he greeted me with a happy face and I poured out the plan instantly. He was very glad and happy to know the help extended on him. He was curious to know the amount collected and was more interested in it being handed over to him so that he could get his treatment started at the earliest. I was pleased to see his excitement level but I conveyed to come over to the hospital my doctor had recommended on the date of operation. He wasn’t quite happy with the hospital I supported and tried to cover up telling he would like to go to the hospital he had tested earlier. I thought he felt uncomfortable and was scared of fancy big hospitals. Then I cleared the fact that he didn’t have to fear or bear any of the expenses, but instead just come to hospital as decided on the date selected. After a long time of debate he finally agreed though not very content about it. On the day of operation we all waited for him to turn up. I was feeling blissful that day as I felt I was doing a very good deed. Seconds, Minutes, Hours passed by and there was no sign of him. There was no way to contact him rather get back to the same old bus stand and search for him. He wasn’t there either. This was SHOCKING!!
Standing there on the open roads I was lost in thoughts!! Was I too late? Had he already left? Did I take a hasty decision? Or was it something else? Is it wrong to believe in something so quickly? Or had I failed to SAVE a LIFE??!! There I was standing all alone cursing myself for the loss of his life and there he was in another part of the city fooling someone else!! Irony of LIFE!!

Posted by mom462135, 5th January 2021

Post your story
Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating