I went to the results of my 13th week scan and the gp told me that my baby has a thing called gastroschisis. I had no clue what it was and asked him to explain to me. He told me as little as it’s a birthdefect in the abdomen. I don’t think he really new what he was talking about because he then said to me that I should consider termination. Which caused me to freak out. With my partner working away I called him and told him the news i was just given. With no family living by me it was so hard to take in this news by myself. So I drove an hour to king Edwards hospital (where the gp told me I would now have to go) and there I broke down. A mid wife came and told me that gastroschisis was more common now days and with close scanning things should be fine. (Gastroschisis Is An abdominal birth defect where There Is A Hole On The Left Side If The Bellybutton Causing the bowels To On The Outside Of The Baby.) As she was rite. I went in once a month for a scan then when I reached about 28 weeks I was going in every 2 week’s for a scan and twice a week for a ctg scan. During my pregnancy I was told that my baby was missing a part in his brain which I had to have an MRI done. we found out that he was missing a part called the septum pellucidum. On the 26th of September 2011 at about 11pm I was sleeping when I woke up to my water breaking. I went to the hospital and spent the nite. the next morning at 9am I was induced. And at 8pm my son Elyas was born. He was taken right away from me and had his bowel put in a silo bag( A bag that They Put The Bowels In Which Hang Over The Baby And Day By Day They slowly Push More Bowel Back Into The Babys abdomen). They then took him to Princess Margaret hospital where he spent 5weeks. It took 19days to close him up due to about day 10 they where trying to push his bowel in when the silo bag came out so they had to redo everything all over again. His crp levels(which Is Infection Levels) went up to 180 where they should be below 10. We had our first cuddles day 20. In December he had a second surgery due to the mesh they had put in was infected so it was trying to push the infection threw his skin. Other than that he has been fine ever since no problems he is now 2 and by looking at him you couldnt tell that he had such a rough start to life.

Posted by sharnie7, 3rd December 2013

Post your story
  • A miracle baby indeed, what a wee fighter !!


  • What a little trooper. Glad it’s all over.


  • wow what an incredible little boy! you certainly have had a bit of a journey getting here. glad that things are good for you and your son now


  • Im so glad that you had such a happy ending. What a tough fighter he is.


  • Thanks for sharing. Glad it turn out well.


  • wow that was tough . . . .


  • Wow – what a rough start for you and your little one! Sounds so intense, you must have been brave! Glad everything is okay now.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating