Hello!

10 Comments

A young girl has died after suffocating on a balloon in an attempt to suck the helium gas out of it as a prank.

Tributes are flowing for 8-year-old Jaina McGloghoun who attempted to suck the helium gas out of the three foot balloon when tragedy struck.

The Sun reports Jaina became entangled with the party balloon and suffocated.

Reports say the girl had gone to bed after a birthday party at her house in Portland, Oregon, around 9pm.

balloon

When her dad went to check on her 20 minutes later he found her lying with the balloon over her head, unresponsive.

The girl’s grandmother was home when it happened.

She said: “My son went in to check on her and all he saw was a foot sticking out of her bed. Then he took the covers off and found the balloon on her head.

“He put her on the floor and cut the balloon off her head. He started CPR and we called 911.”

She added: “Right now, it’s too raw with everybody. What can you say? We all want to turn back yesterday and start over again.”

The girl’s uncle called Donny wrote: “I am completely devastated and heartbroken. I can’t even imagine how my brother Mike and sister My Ying are functioning, they are staying as strong as possible.“

Such a tragedy!  Something we should all be aware of that’s for sure. Hold your little ones close.

Share your comments below.

 

Main image via Getty Images

  • What a horrible tragedy! I don’t think anyone would expect something like this to happen. My oldest daughter turns 8 this weekend. No helium!

    Reply

  • This is why, even though he pleads and begs, I don’t give my son balloons.

    Reply

  • What a terrible tragedy. The poor family. You don’t imagine such a thing happening to a kid that age but it sounded like a huge balloon.

    Reply

  • That is such a tragedy. May she RIP

    Reply

  • What a terrible terrible tragedy. RIP Jaina

    Reply

  • A tragedy you would never imagine happening. If we have balloons I get somebody to double knot the top of them and put them up out of the reach of the children at least 2 1/2 metres from the floor. ladders that are stored and locked against the wall laying on their sides in the rafters of a locked garage are handy. We always make sure either the children aren’t home or are definitely in bed asleep. If they are given any, they usually hit them around the room, then are disposed of.

    Reply

  • What a terrible tragedy! Such a beautiful little girl!

    Reply

  • Wow how tragic. RIP little one

    Reply

  • I was aware back when my daughter was a toddler of the dangers of balloons and suffocation, and for that reason limited the use of balloons and was very cautious when I did use them.

    Reply

  • Such a tragic incident, I could only imagine how the parents would be feeling. Will never again let my daughter do this trick again.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join