Baby boy born in the bathroom of a Subway and abandoned in a toilet by his homeless mother.
The Daily Mail reports, officials have released footage of the harrowing incident and 911 call inside the sandwich shop in West Covina.
The baby’s mother, Mary Grace Trinidad, 38, was arrested and is currently hospitalised.
Surveillance video from inside the restaurant shows her entering the Subway just 8am on Sunday, asking for a cup of water, filling up the drink, and then entering the bathroom.
A worker called 911, with the call now released by police.
‘We tried to keep her in and she just walked out, and there’s a crying baby in the restroom,’ a woman identifying herself as a Subway employee says in 911 call audio provided by police.
The dispatcher tells the staffer to get the baby out of the toilet, wrap him in towels, and check his mouth for any obstructions.
Paramedics arrived at the scene at 8.24 a.m., as shown in the surveillance footage.
In less than a minute they were transporting the baby to Queen of the Valley Medical Center.
The baby was initially described as being in critical condition because the cold water lowered his body temperature.
However police say the little boy is ‘doing well’.
Authorities followed the trail of blood the mother left behind for about 500 yards, and found Trinidad at a Pep Boys car repair, located about 20 miles outside of Los Angeles, around 20 minutes after her baby was rescued.
She was arrested and taken to the same hospital as her baby for pregnancy-related issues.
Warning – distressing content
9 News have reported Newborn babies have been left outside Australian hospitals, churches, ambulance stations and in other public places over the past nine years.
* May 13, 2007 – Newborn “Catherine” found wrapped in towels in a cardboard box outside a Melbourne hospital on Mother’s Day. She survived despite suffering hypothermia.
* June 10, 2007 – Newborn “Joan” found in a box outside Sydney’s Haberfield Baptist Church. She was placed under state care.
* October 17, 2011 – Body of “Willow” found by council workers in a park near Hobart. The umbilical cord and placenta were inside two plastic shopping bags. Her mother was never found.
* July 27, 2013 – A southeast Queensland family discovers newborn girl “Moses” wrapped in blankets in a basket in front of their home. The mother was found but not charged.
* August 1, 2013 – Newborn boy left at an ambulance station in Rockhampton, Queensland. His 21-year-old mother was later found. No charges were laid.
* November 23, 2014 – A week-old boy was found alive by cyclists in a western Sydney drain at Quakers Hill. His 30-year-old mother was charged with attempted murder after allegedly abandoning him five days earlier.
* November 30, 2014 – The remains of the infant girl dubbed “Lily Grace” found at Sydney’s South Maroubra Beach.
Share your comments below.