Hello!

15 Comments

In The News: Explosion Causes Injuries To Baby Girl

A small explosion in the New South Wales Hunter region last night has caused injuries to a baby girl.

Emergency services were called to a home in Raymond Terrace at 11.50pm last night after reports of the 16-month-old being burnt.

According to the ABC, the baby girl was treated for a burn on her leg and taken to John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition.

Police believe the explosion occurred when an aerosol can was thrown in an open fire, which sent hot coals flying.

Officers attending the scene said that the girls’ injuries are not life-threatening and no one else was injured in the incident.

After speaking to witnesses, Port Stephens police have also advised the ABC that no further action is anticipated in relation to this incident.

 

Image source: Getty Images

  • Wishing her a speedy recovery

    Reply

  • I am sure that aerosol can have a bright red symbol and more details warning on them.
    THey contain not only the spray but a gas to pressurise the can to release the spray. I am also concerned about the toxic fumes that could have affected the lungs of all of them.
    The little girl faces a long hard struggle while having burns treatment and exercises to stretch the skin that will have tightened. The little girl will possibly need skin grafts. I know of a case where a little girl pulled a hot kettle down on herself. Neither of her parents realised that she could stand in tippy toes and reach it. They had never seen her stand on tippy toes before. When she was eventually released and went home, she was isolated in one room, her parents had to wear had to wear masks and sterile gowns as her immunity was so low that had she caught a cold or virus she may not have survived. Her siblings weren’t allowed in the room at all. They communicated through a window on a warm day.

    Reply

  • Very irresponsible of the persons involved to place this little girl in danger. Who throws an aerosol can onto a fire! She’s probably scarred for life now, poor thing.

    Reply

  • It just goes to show how easily things can happen. I hope it was an accident and not just someone being silly with the aerosol.

    Reply

  • Oh wow I hope she will be ok poor little one . But why was an aerosol can thrown into a fire, all the best to the little girl xx

    Reply

  • Poor baby xx

    People need to be so careful around fire especially with babies and children around

    Reply

  • Poor little girl! I hope she will recover soon!!

    Reply

  • Sounds like a dumb thing to do around a child. Hope she recovers without too many scars.

    Reply

  • Hope she makes full recovery.

    Reply

  • It sounds like a stupid accident – still scary.

    Reply

  • I can’t believe people are still silly enough to throw aerosols into fires! Thank goodness the little girl wasn’t seriously harmed!

    Reply

  • Such a great reminder to dispose of aerosol cans responsibly. Hoping the baby girl fully recovers.

    Reply

  • Isn’t it a total fire ban? Kids that little near open fires is dangerous enough let alone a can being thrown in it

    Reply

  • oh wow! they do have warnings that you don’t throw these things into fire or have them near flame. that is sad that a girl is now injured. i hope that she can recover well and being so young, she should have a good chance. i feel sorry for the family, that would have been scary to deal with.

    Reply

  • Lke hd

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join