Barbie and Ken have (and probably will always be) the ultimate couple. The iconic pair have grown together, embraced popular trends, worn all the latest fashion, and given kids so much joy over the years.
And now Ken is celebrating his 60th birthday…and my goodness, I wish I knew his secret, because he looks fab-u-lous!
The popular “boy Barbie” is celebrating his 60-year history of fashion and fun with the launch of an anniversary Ken doll range.
This fun new range includes throwback styles, giving kids an insight into fashion favourites from the last few decades.
Retro Ken Dolls
The range includes 1961 Original Ken™ doll, 1984 Great Shape Ken™ doll and 1985 Rocker Derek doll and all the dolls are sporting an iconic outfit updated with today’s trends.
Ken first came onto the scene in 1961 as the male counterpart of Barbie, who was introduced two years earlier in 1959. Named after the son of Mattel founders Ruth and Elliot Handler, Kenneth Sean Carson (his full name) has held down over 40 careers since his debut, including Doctor (1963), Pilot (1975), Sports Star Tennis Player (1980), Singer / Rockstar (1991), Photographer (2000), and Lifeguard (2019).
Ken upholds diversity as he now has 3 body types, 9 skin tones, 10 eye colours, 27 hair colours and 20 hairstyles.
Ken’s 60th anniversary range is available now nationally instore and online at Big W, Target and Kmart, and other specialty toy retailers.
We Bet You Didn’t Know This About Ken!
1) Ken’s official “birthday” is 11 March, 1961 (making him a Pisces), he’s exactly two years and two days younger than Barbie.
2) The first Ken sold for $3.50. He had molded hair in blonde or brunette, wore red swim trunks, cork sandals, and carried a yellow towel.
3) In 1969, Ken got a makeover with a new molded hairdo, thicker eyebrows, and a bright smile to show off his white “teeth.”
4) Known for driving along the Malibu coast, Ken’s cars have included a Dream ‘Vette (1984) and a Mini Cooper (2012-13).
5) Ken’s only sibling is his younger brother Tommy who debuted in 1997.
6) It was the breakup heard around the world when Barbie and Ken ended their relationship in 2004.
7) In 2010, Ken made more than 50 costume changes when he appeared on the big screen in “Toy Story 3.”
8) Proving true love conquers all, Barbie and Ken reunited in 2011.
9) Fashionable by design, Ken was a muse for Jean Paul Gaultier, Gareth Pugh, and even wore a custom Moschino suit exactly like the one worn by Jeremy Scott to the 2015 MTV Music Awards.
10) Fashionista Ken sported new hairstyles including man bun and cornrows, as well as broad and slim body shapes in 2017.
Which are your kids’ favourite Barbie and Ken dolls? Tell us in the comments below.
We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.