It’s important to eat a well balanced, nutritious diet everyday – but your special little person doesn’t have a birthday everyday, and it just wouldn’t be a birthday without a cake!
This simple butterfly cake is super cute, super easy and sure to impress.
1 Basic Butter Cake in a round cake tin, set aside and allow to cool.
1 batch of Butter Cream Icing, divide into 2 bowls and colour as desired.
- Once the cake is cool, cut it in half down the center. Cut each half with a diagonal cut to create a 2/3 portion and a 1/3 portion.
- On a tray arrange the pieces so that the rounded edges are touching in the middle and the smaller 1/3 portion is closest to you.
- Separate and arrange these pieces to create the desired shape for the butterfly wings.
- Use a butter knife or spatula to spread the butter cream icing over each portion of the cake. Once your cake is covered in icing, to create a smoother finish heat your knife with hot water, dry it thoroughly and gently smooth the icing over.
- Now it’s time to get creative with your decorations. Use a musk stick or other similar long, thin lolly for the center of the butterfly, mini M & M’s for the small spots, cut several musk sticks cross sectionally for pink stars, marshmallows for larger spots and any other lollies you like.
If you are worried about giving the kids a sugar OD, keep your portion sizes small and provide lots of fresh fruit, veggie sticks and dip, homemade sausage rolls or pizza with extra veggies and keep the cake as the centrepiece of the party.
For more kids party ideas check out The Kids Menu’s Party Collection.