Hello!

16 Comments

Vanessa Cobb was driving when her nine-month-old daughter Lyric-Brooklyn toppled out of her new 1st Care Deluxe three in one Child Car Seat with Booster Seat.

“She had fallen forward and just come straight out of the belt and landed at the passenger’s seat straight on her face. She was OK but I just couldn’t believe it,” Cobb told the New Zealand Herald.

The seat buckle – meant to keep infants restrained even in the event of a crash – was faulty and released at the slightest tug, as Cobb demonstrated in a video she posted to Facebook.

“I thought she may have [unbuckled it] but she is 9 months old so I put the belt buckle in and tested it and literally just tugged on it lightly and it just came straight out.

“I just keep getting these images in my head. All I could think about is that my sister just had her baby and we were going to go down to Wellington and imagine if I had taken her down there and we were involved in an accident and my baby ended up flying straight past me and into the windscreen. The thought of it is still haunting me.”

“It has all just been a nightmare and the response I got.. I just can’t believe it. My baby could have died. I just can’t imagine if someone else who bought a seat was to be in a serious accident [and their child was injured], who is to be held accountable for that? You can’t bring back a life once it has been taken.”

Top Deal have now removed the product from sale.

carseat mf

“All products involving Delux 3 in 1 car seat will be pulled from the market immediately until Toptoys is satisfied it is safe to sell them,” a statement read. “The products will be returned to its manufacturer in China for safety reviews.”

A spokesperson for 1st Care said “this is an occasional problem, not all of our products have problems”.

Please be aware. The seat is very popular in New Zealand. It is not clear if it sold in Australia.

Share your comments below.

  • This is very concerning, thanks for sharing.

    Reply

  • Wow my daughter has one of these, it is going today…


    • Can you advise us whether you bought this in N.Z. or Australia please? I am wondering if the manufacturer is a subsidiary of Britax at all. I certainly hope no as they have a fantastic reputation.
      I haven’t looked at Baby Carseats for awhile but I know somebody who bought 2 recently.

    Reply

  • i haven’t heard of this brand but thanks for sharing this!

    Reply

  • You would think the company would take more responsibility. Rather than being so casual about it. Oh it only happens to a few, it’s fine… Umm no. That’s a child’s life in danger. Thats a frigging huge problem!

    Reply

  • I can’t believe this. These items are supposed to be tested for safety. I’m so glad the baby wasn’t injured

    Reply

  • The harness doesn’t appear to me to be correctly fitted at the top of the baby carseat either.
    We have top grade baby equipment made by Britax, sold as various brand nmes and other companies. Why are cheap defective equipment being imported to NZ? I hope they are not being brought into Australia. If they are it just proves they weren’t tested properly before being approved.

    Reply

  • How appalling. Manufacturers need to be held accountable to ensure they don’t cut corners on safety to increase profits. There should be severe penalties.

    Reply

  • A recall is a good thing for the safety of children.

    Reply

  • That’s a scarily casual response.


    • Indeed… “Only some of our products have this problem”… Almost sounds like they knew about it! Definitely company shoukd be fined heavily and all products be re-tested for saftey standards

    Reply

  • How scary for the mother – so glad it happened as and when it did – not in an accident or sudden stopping situation. Properly functioning products are essential -this should have been picked up prior to sale.

    Reply

  • Luckily the little girl wasn’t injured but yes.. this shouldn’t have happened!

    Reply

  • Of all the things that could go wrong with this seat, a faulty seat belt is the last thing you would want.

    Reply

  • WOW!! I have no words for this!!!
    Whomever was supposed to do the safety testing on this should be fired.

    Reply

  • WOW! Just WOW! Do they not do product safety tests on these things?!!!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join