Carolyn Ziegler, Co-Founder and Product Development Director of leading Child Safety Brand Dreambaby, shares her top tips to keep your children safe in the bathroom.
1. Number one tip –NEVER leave your child alone in the bathroom – ever. It’s tempting to go and get your phone if you’ve left it in another room or to answer the door if someone rings the bell but nothing ever replaces adult supervision. Children can drown in a few centimeters of water in less than a minute.
2. Avoid accidental poisoning – medicines are commonly stored in the bathroom so make sure they are kept out of sight and out of reach in a child-secured cupboard or under lock and key.
If you keep bathroom cleaning products under the sink, move these straightaway up high in a locked or secured cupboard.
Submitting your rating…
Last but not least secure your toilet with a latch. Toilet water is highly toxic and children are great explorers! If you’re potty training in the bathroom make sure you clean and sanitise your potty straight after use as they can also be a poisoning hazard. My advice is to buy one that comes apart easily for cleaning.
3. Avoid scalds or burns. Hot water from the tap can scald your child in seconds. Make sure your bathroom hot water is set below 50C and use a water thermometer just in case.
Dreambaby®’s ‘Herbert’ the Turtle’ Room and Bath Thermometer is perfect for this. Made from BPA free and phthalate safe durable waterproof material, the temperature display is clearly visible on Herbert’s back and gives fast and accurate temperature readings, whilst doubling as safe and fun toys for your little ones!
4. Block off all unused power points in the bathroom with outlet plugs. Water and electricity are a lethal combo. Ditto move (unplugged!) hairdryers and anything else electrical up and out of reach.
5. It’s also a good idea to install a child safety gate at the entrance to your bathroom. If you rent, try a pressure-mounted gate so you don’t have to drill into the walls.
You can further guard against damage by using one of those clever mounting cups (such as Dreambaby®’s Protect-A- Wall™), that ingeniously disperses pressure from the top supports over a large area, reducing direct force and minimising the possibility of cracks or collapses.
Share your comments below