Hello!

9 Comments

A batch of Macro Organic baby food has been pulled off shelves at Woolworths supermarkets nationwide after a Brisbane toddler suffered suspected food poisoning after eating it.

Using Facebook to warn others about her toddler’s reaction to the food and the mould she found hiding within the contents, mother Nikki De Bondt, said her children, “gagged and almost vomited” after tasting the Baby Macro organic apple, banana, pear and mango puree.

“OMG it was gagworthy”, the mother wrote of what she discovered when she cut open the pack and squeezed out the contents.

Image Source: Facebook
Image Source: Facebook

Nikki’s post, now shared more than 50,000 times, was updated after one of her children spent the night vomiting, “UPDATE: ELKA UP VOMITING ALL NIGHT. DO NOT GIVE TO YOUR CHILDREN”.

The reaction to the photo of the mouldy baby food has shocked people on Facebook, with many users saying it was “disgusting” and “revolting.”

Image source: Facebook
Image source: Facebook

“I took it back to Woolworths where they have agreed to send it away for testing,” Nikki said. “The contaminant has been sent off for testing and the entire batch has been removed from the shelves.  Woolworths have been keeping me up to date regularly. Will keep everyone posted when results come back.”

A Woolworths spokesman confirmed the batch in question had been taken from shelves following the woman’s complaint.

“We have been in touch and begun an investigation with our supplier. We have also taken from our shelves products from this batch,” the spokesman said. “Woolworths takes the safety of our products very seriously and was concerned by this report from one of our customers.  We always encourage any customer who has a problem with any Woolworths products to get in touch so the issue can be investigated.”

Woolworths had referred the case to the Queensland Health Department to investigate and the supplier had been notified.

Image source:  Facebook

  • it is so much easier and cheaper to make it yourself!

    Reply

  • This is disgusting. I’m glad the mum took it back and raised the issue.

    Reply

  • This is horrid! I hope Woolies sorts it out and the mum is compensated.

    Reply

  • it looks horrible! I wonder if they will publish the outcome.

    Reply

  • I wouldn’t have waited to until next morning to call an after hours doctor or go to a hospital. Maybe the Mum initially thought it was reflux. We don’t know the baby’s medical history. A young baby could easily dehydrate that quickly.
    Hope the baby makes a speedy recovery.
    The food looks as though it may be mouldy as well as being lumpy. I always smelt if before I fed baby any of it. I never thought to cut it open.

    Reply

  • There doesn’t seem to be enough care taken by food manufacturers. I hope this child is okay and recovers fully soon.

    Reply

  • That’s revolting. Ugh! I’m glad though, that Woolworths acted so promptly.

    Reply

  • Lke gt

    Reply

  • Disgusting. I always check the colour of the contens before I give it to my daughter

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join