It has been said that regardless of right or wrong a parent’s actions will always be right in the eyes of a child.
Children emulate their parents, being their first role models, transferring physical and mental traits to their children while often remaining unaware of their acquisition.
Thus, a person’s values and belief systems are greatly molded by the parent’s upbringing and examples.
Households also have their distinct customs, for example, a family may be used to eating takeaways or deliveries from fast food places, some families prefer home cooked meals shared with each other, each and every family is unique and with varying tastes.
Healthy living and a conscious effort of making healthy choices also starts within the household, some children eat fruits and vegetables easily and some children just won’t.
It’s all a matter of helping every family member become accustomed to a healthy lifestyle.
So what can be done to influence your family to live healthy?
- Start in the kitchen – Serve healthy dishes that can nourish the family’s dietary needs, don’t let the kids grow to be picky eaters. Cook exciting meals with a variety of colours, nutrients and minerals on every plate.
- Embrace a proper philosophy in eating – Teach your family to enjoy the food’s flavours and proportions and stick to a schedule for mealtimes and snacks.
- Involve them – Bring them to the local produce market and familiarise them with fruits and vegetables. Let them learn how to cook and teach them what healthy ingredients to include in a meal.
- A culture of fitness – Have a walk in the park every weekend with the family, let them ride a bike and stroll in the community. Teach every family member the importance of exercise at an early age.
- Pantry management – Make sure that healthy foods are the ones mostly placed in the fridge and cabinets. Replace junk foods with fruits as daytime snacks, soft drinks with fresh fruit juices, and lollies with a homemade alternative.
- Start with you – Be a perfect example for the family. Create an atmosphere where staying healthy is the norm and a family trait, enjoy a variety of fruits and vegetables and talk about how delicious they are. Praise your children when they make healthy choices spread the buzz not just with your family but with your close friends and love ones. By empowering yourself and your spouse by staying healthy, you can inspire and motivate the whole community to follow your lead.
- Ask for respect – It can sometimes feel like society is working against you when you are trying to raise a healthy family, ask those close to you to respect your decisions by not gifting your children with lollies and chocolates. Explain that you are doing the best you can and that you would appreciate their support and allowing you to raise healthy children, after all, if they truly love your children they will also want them to be healthy and happy.
Do you have any other tips to add to this list? Please share in the comments below.