A Queensland mother is accused of snatching her twin daughters and hiding interstate for the past four years.
The two girls were just seven-years-old when they were taken from their school and went into hiding by their mother on April 4, 2014.
The woman, aged 46, faced two counts of child stealing in Brisbane Magistrates Court after being extradited from Taree in northern New South Wales on the weekend.
She was denied bail after a police prosecutor argued she should remain in custody after hiding from police and authorities for four years, reports 9 news.
The girls, now 11, were with their mother when they were located safe and well in Taree on Friday.
The magistrate refused bail in court today, finding the woman posed an unacceptable risk of failing to front court in future.
The court heard she had an extensive support network that helped her avoid detection for all those years.
Police also found a number of Medicare cards and medications under false names.
Her barrister, Tony Kimmins, told the court she hoped to one day reconnect with her children but understands the serious trouble she is in.
Their father had mounted an ongoing media campaign to try to locate them. It’s been four years since the children’s father last saw them, shared Daily Telegraph.
Lawyer Antonious Abdelshahied said the girls’ father found them in good spirits considering what they had been through.
“His main priority … is to ensure the children are brought back safely to Townsville in their usual surroundings at home and school and some semblance of a normal life,” he said.
Share your comments below