All too often our fridges get out of hand and are dirty and disorganised. How often do you need something fast to find it way at the back of the fridge?
Here are our tips on how to keep your fridge clean and organised:
- Use plastic mats or contact to line your shelves, therefore any spills are easy to wipe over or just replace the liner.
- The temperature of the fridge can fluctuate so it’s best to keep your milk and dairy out of the fridge door to keep it fresh longer.
- To stop any unwanted drips keep your meat and seafood on the bottom shelf or put them on a plate to keep drips contained.
- Turn fridge cleaning into a game for the kids; maybe the best job gets a reward!
- Use baskets or containers to keep things organised and in place. The bonus is that baskets are easy to pull in and out of the fridge so it’s easier to find something.
- You can even label the baskets or the fridge doors and shelves.
- No more messy plastic bags. Use containers to store cold cuts.
- Can’t find your salad dressing. How about a lazy susan for all your condiments and bottles.
- If you are super organised you can use a washable marker on your fridge door to keep track of what’s inside. Or even create a chalkboard on the fridge door. A great way to keep track of leftovers.
- If your shelves are wire racks grab a large bulldog clip and attach to the rack, this will help stop your drinks rolling around on the shelf.
- Create an “eat me now” food box for the items coming close to expiry.
- Remember certain foods such as potatoes; tomatoes and onions don’t need to be chilled.
- How often do you buy something only to find when you get home you already have one. Take a photo of the inside of your fridge before you go shopping.
- Keep some labels or tape handy and label the container with the open date.
- Does your fridge have a strange odour? To help keep it fresh try activated carbon, you should be able to get this from your local pet shop.
- To free up space and avoid any breakages put your eggs into the egg section of the door.
Have you got another suggestion you would like to SHARE with us?