With 4 kids, I make several cakes a year between all the parties and this year my daughter has requested a rainbow cake. This video and recipe actually looks quite easy so I’m going to give it a go.
- 6 food colours
- 9 tablespoons of milk
- 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 750 grams of unsalted butter, softened
- 750 grams of caster sugar
- 9 eggs
- 750 grams of self raising flour
- 400 grams of unsalted butter softened
- 900 grams of icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees and grease six circle pans and add mixture.
- Combine vanilla essence and milk in a bowl.
- Get 6 bowls and divide the milk/vanilla up evenly between the 6 bowls.
- Add a colour into each bowl and mix in. Put bowls aside
- In a separate bowl beat the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy on medium speed.
- Put all the eggs into a bowl and whisk together.
- Reduce your mixer to a slow speed and add the eggs slowly.
- Add the sifted flour until just combined.
- Measure weight of batter and divide into the 6 bowls evenly and add the food colours. Mix slowly with a spoon.
- Bake cakes for 20 mins or until cooked through.
- Leave cakes to cool completely.
- Beat butter for 5 minutes until pale.
- Slowly add sifted icing sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla, beat for 1 minute on slow and 2 minutes on fast.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
- When the cakes are cool trim the top and edges off to make the cake level.
- Place a spoon of icing on a board or plate and then place your first cake on.
- Ice the top of that cake layer and then add another colour, repeat with all colours.
- Ice the whole cake with a thin layer and then place in the fridge for an hour to set.
- Now you can complete your cake by doing your thick icing.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top from the cake you cut off.
- The cake is ready to eat.
I hope mine turns out as well as this.
You can watch the YouTube video for easy to follow instructions:
Have you ever made a rainbow cake? Any tips to share? Please add comment below.
Main image source Shutterstock.com