Hello!

22 Comments

A three year old girl from France has reportedly died after choking on the contents of a Kinder Surprise.

Emergency service officers were called to the scene in Toulouse by the girl’s mother and managed to resuscitate her successfully before she passed away due to brain damage caused by a lack of oxygen.

Image Source: Instagram
Image Source: Instagram

An autopsy has revealed that the death was the result of an “airway obstruction”.

The toy from the centre of the Kinder Surprise, obstructed the little girl’s airway, and was described by French police as having small wheels.

Owner and manufacturer of Kinder Surprise Eggs, Ferrero, has publicly warned parents about the danger the small toys within the eggs pose to children under the age of three.  There is also a printed warning on the side of the egg packaging themselves.

While the chocolate eggs are popular throughout Europe, Australia and other countries, they have attracted controversy elsewhere.

In the United States for instance, Kinder Surprise Eggs have been banned due to a law forbidding concealed toys in food due to the choking hazard it can pose.

 

  • This is so unbearably sad. My heart goes out to the poor family. :'(

    Reply

  • Such a tragic accident. I’ve bought this chocolate treat for years for the kids but I think I’ll change to their choc bars instead.

    Reply

  • This is so very sad. A tragic loss for her family. It could have been from any small object if the girl had a tendency to put things into her mouth, so please don’t ban kinder surprises.

    Reply

  • The warning should be in bold print where it is obvious and easily readable.
    Please don’t tell it is small prinnt – worse still if it in the section with a coloured background.

    Reply

  • What a tragic situation for this family and others who have gone through the same thing. Personally I would ban the eggs and just sell the chocolate blocks instead.

    Reply

  • Such a tragedy, i dont think they need to be banned but maybe instead of not suitable for kids under 3 it should be not suitable for kids under 6 who understand that there is something inside that is not edible, i agree with a previous comment about taking the toy out if its for a little one.

    Reply

  • hopefully at least, people will be wary of this a bit more

    Reply

  • yeah you do have to be so careful with these. i feel sorry for the family. it was just an innocent treat.

    Reply

  • How devasting for the family. I don’t buy these. Unfortunately they appeal to little ones

    Reply

  • What an awful tragedy and so preventable. Why are these still available given the known risk?

    Reply

  • So sad to read about this little girl. And you sister too, mom 170927. :-(

    Reply

  • Lke it

    Reply

  • I’m with the US for banning these given the inherent risks. Such a preventable tragedy.

    Reply

  • Such sad news … Sadly my sister died aged 4 from chocking on the capsule of the egg … How many more children have to die from these eggs until they are banned … My thoughts and prayers are with the family … R.I.P little angel xxx

    Reply

  • This is terrible. I relented at Christmas time and bought the first Kinder Surprise egg for my kids. I think they are expensive and the kids really didn’t like the toy anyway. I won’t be buying another, especially after reading about this tragedy.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join