Hello!

A concerned mum has pleaded with children to stop charging their phones and tablets on their beds, saying the warning could save homes and lives.

April Hubbard says she happened to pick her son up early from school, and the decision probably stopped their entire home going up in smoke. Because he discovered that his phone charger had almost sparked a fire.

“I picked up Brayden from school early today, and I’m really glad that I did,” April said. “Please stop leaving your chargers plugged in on your beds.”

While most of us wouldn’t intentionally leave our phones charging on our beds, it’s pretty common to fall asleep while scrolling, accidentally dropping our mobile phones onto our beds.

@aprilhubbard2STOP DOING THIS!!!! Please

♬ Im proud of you – Shantastic

April, a school bus driver, says she made the warning video for the many students who follow her on TikTok.

“I did it to pass on information to the younger generation of children who may not know and may think they’re invincible. Brayden being home saved our house from burning down, because I would not have gone into Brayden’s room.”

Research has revealed that more than half of children and teens charge their tablets or phones on their bed or under their pillow – a potentially fatal mistake. Bedding is highly flammable, and electrical devices like phones can heat up quickly. Phones and tablets should be charged on a flat surface with no flammable materials nearby. Cords should also be checked regularly for damage.

April’s video attracted lots of supportive comments thanking her for the information. “You never know what could happen to you and it doesn’t matter if you think it won’t. It can.”

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I need to show that to my husband. He is the one who is charging phone that way..

    Reply

  • Agree the biggest no no in our house hold!

    Reply

  • I’m so sorry that we keep hearing this. I’m constantly telling my son not to charge his laptop on his bed. I will tell him again and again until it sinks in.

    Reply

  • This is such a worry, Must keep remembering to remind kids not to do this.

    Reply

  • Better yet, teach kids to switch off powerpoints when not in use. Eventually they’ll have to pay an electricity bill.

    Reply

  • I’ve been charging my phone overnight off our desk top computer tower & when the lead is unplugged it touches the carpet! i have changed this bad habit since just reading the above! Thanks!

    Reply

  • Such a helpful tip, would never have thought to worry aboutthis.

    Reply

  • This is a scary reminder of how careful we need to be. I always charge my phone on a table and after seeing something about laptops catching fire, try to charge my laptop on a flat surface for the same reason.

    Reply

  • So scary

    Reply

  • I’ve taken another look at our charging arrangements after seeing this.

    Reply

  • Wow that is a wake up call. I am very careful where I charge my phone but others not so much. Will share this photo so that we are all aware.

    Reply

  • I have a place where all phones get charged and that’s in the kitchen but I only do this so it’s available to my son as well. Never thought about what could possibly happen if it was being charged in the bedroom. I’m so glad that she did pick her son up early. Disaster averted

    Reply

  • We always take care when charging. It can be so dangerous.

    Reply

  • I never would have imagined this could happen, however, my is always plugged in on my side table. I know it’s probably not the best practice but I use it for my alarm and other things I do while in bed.

    Reply

  • This is so dangerous. We have learnt this long time ago and don’t use our phones on our beds or use it while charging as it can be fatal. Also the rule of the house is it has to be kept on a bench top with a confirmation to each other (hubby and myself) that we have switched off any switch which was turned on. This is for our children and home safety.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join