Hello!

13 Comments

A three-year-old Queensland girl has undergone emergency surgery after swallowing a coin that became lodged in her oesophagus.

Bronte Read was flown from Mackay to Townsville by the Royal Flying Doctor Service last week before being rushed into surgery, nearly 30 hours after swallowing the coin, reports yahoo 7.

“Bronte had been carrying the coin around so I immediately knew she had swallowed it,” her mother, Katie Hull said.

“She started choking and vomiting and I rang the ambulance while her father stayed with her.”

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Medium Rubs
Nando’s Medium Rubs

Submitting your rating…

Surgeons eventually managed to push the coin into Bronte’s stomach so it was easier to remove.

throat

Her anxious mother is sharing her story to remind parents and carers to be vigilant with small objects, emphasising just how dangerous they can be.

“I do not want another family to go through what we have in the last week,” Ms Hull added.

“I have always been watchful of small objects but it only takes one time. She is the bravest, strongest little girl I know.

“She is now doing really well and has to stay on some medication to help with reflux caused from the trauma of using forceps to move the coin.”

So glad she is OK!

Share your comments below.

  • I only ever gave my kids coins if it was to put in their money boxes straight away. If it was money for spending, I always give paper money and keep the change

    Reply

  • Glad she’s ok. Scary stuff ! You have to Be on the ball all the time ! ????


    • Yes as my mum said to have eyes in the back of your head.

    Reply

  • While ever your child is putting everything in its mouth, you have to be extra careful. So glad this little one is OK now.

    Reply

  • I suppose that you would only give coins etc to kids old enough to know not to put them in their mouth.

    Reply

  • There are indeed so many dangers in coins and coin batteries. Glad the child is ok now.

    Reply

  • I’m so glad this little girl is okay. What a scary experience.

    Reply

  • Glad she is ok !!
    My 4yr old still puts everything in her mouth, I’m like a hawk on checking what’s laying around.

    Reply

  • Such a horrible experience to endure – little ones do explore which includes popping things into their mouths that can be a hazard.

    Reply

  • I’m so glad we’re past that stage – you have to be so careful.

    Reply

  • It sort of comes with the territory really. Kids put everything in their mouths

    Reply

  • How scary – poor little mite! Yes, we are all ever vigilant in watching for small objects, but it just takes a split second ….. so pleased she is okay!


    • You are so right – it does only take a moment – so I always feel so sorry for parents in this situation and of course for the little ones!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join