All this mum wanted to do, was equip her kids’ toy kitchen with fun utensils to enhance their pretend play experience. But her good intentions backfired when one of the Kmart accessories seriously injured her young son.

Mum of three, Emma, bought a small toy Kmart kitchen for her kids (aged 5, 4 and 2 and a half) to play with. She decided to equip the kitchen with those super cute kitchen utensils that are sold cheaply at the Kmart.

She picked out a mini-tongs for $2, thinking that it would be safe for her kids to use.

Very Scary

Emma shares:
“Today I heard this massive scream and I went running into the room to find the tongs stuck on my 2 and half year old’s thumb. He had picked them up and the little metal clip that slides down to hold them close had slid down and locked his thumb in.”

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Transition Bag
Love To Dream Transition Bag

Submitting your rating…

“He had his thumb in the middle down the bottom and that metal bit slid down and locked his thumb in there. Even though they opened, I couldn’t slide it up to close them as it was squishing his thumb and blood was coming out. It was very scary,” she said.

“I managed to get his thumb out without going to the doctors but it cut a big slice halfway around his thumb”, she explains.

Emma wanted to share a warning with other parents: “I’ve seen a lot of mums posting that they brought these cute tongs for there little one’s kitchens. But they need to know the dangers of them as they could have easily cut his thumb just about off.”


Another Mini Tongs Injury

This wasn’t the first time a pair of tongs has injured a child. When my daughter was one years old, she discovered our mini kitchen tongs and had alot of fun opening and closing it. I’m a very risk-averse mum but didn’t think twice about letting her play with this.

And then she suddenly started screaming and blood was gushing everywhere. The base of the tongs had gripped and badly pinched the top of her finger and had made a very deep cut.

I was petrified as the blood just wouldn’t stop and I panicked and called an ambulance. The paramedics dressed her finger and it eventually stopped bleeding.

But it was a good lesson for me. Kitchen utensils are not kids’ toys and parents should rather buy kitchen implements that have been made specifically for children to play with.

Has your child ever got injured by a kitchen utensil or something similar? Share in the comments below.

  • Almost did similar with the tongs, and most utensils are unsafe if you think about it.


  • Terrible and would be very scary.


  • I wouldn’t of expected this. Goes to show how important supervision is.


  • What a terrible thing to happen. If giving children something like this to play with then supervision is needed.


  • This is why it’s a kitchen utensils, not a toy.


  • Nasty! Looks a bit like my sons thumb when he did the same thing. Broke his thumb sucking habit though


  • Oh no, how scary, the poor little bub.


  • I’ve never heard of this happening but I will keep an eye out now!!!


  • I would agree, these are utensils for adults and not for kids to use – especially under 3. Sadly, a lesson learnt. There are many plastic or non-metal options. Hope the little one is oky.


  • Oh my goodness, poor little thing. So scary this could happen. One of the freak accidents, not the Mum fault.


  • I didn’t realise this could happen. I have similar cheap tongs, but I only use them myself for cooking and the kids sometimes when grabbing a sausage to put on their plate. I’m there to watch them though.


  • There are many thing in the home that are dangerous and that is why parents have to be vigilant and teach children how to use them correctly. Also you would not let little kids use knives to play with and many utensils have sharp edges.


  • Umm it was more a combination of mummy and kitchen item… literally 2 nights ago i poked my three year old in the eye with a fork


  • the tongs clearly have a sharp edge – it should be common sense not to let kids use these unsupervised – if you are worried by the silicone coated as it will soften the injuries


  • There not kids toys and her kid gets injured. I’m shocked…NOT


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating