A NSW mum was shocked to find a pill in a packet of Coco Pops when pouring her son a bowl of cereal.

Karlee Tweedie, from Booragul, Lake Macquarie, posted a picture on Facebook of what she found. It is believed to be a Duromine weight loss capsule.

Ms Tweedie told Yahoo7 she poured a bowl of cereal for her son Alex on Saturday.

“I made my son a bowl of cereal, he finished it and at the bottom of the bowl after he was finished was the tablet,” she said..

“I was worried and thought, what the hell is this?”


Alex is OK, but his mum decided to share the find on Facebook to warn others.

Duromine is used to treat people with weight issues including obesity. Side effects include vomiting and diarrhoea.

Ms Tweedie’s post has been shared more than 3,300 times.

Ms Tweedie said Alex didn’t eat any of the pill.

In a statement to Yahoo7, a Kellogg’s spokesperson said it had been in touch with Ms Tweedie.

“Along with manufacturing based on strict quality standards, we also have policies in place that prohibit employees bringing medications into the plant,” the spokesperson said.

“We are doing a full investigation with our team and are staying in touch with the consumer. Based on the available information, our food on the shelf is safe to eat.”

A Kellogg’s spokesperson has today issued a further statement to clarify the situation.

“We’ve sent the capsule for testing. We expect results in the coming days.

Based on the information we have, which includes the image provided by the consumer and our conversation with the manufacturer of the medication, we believe it is Duromine.

“Our investigation found that none of the team who made this food use Duromine. It is a highly controlled prescription-only medicine. Based on this information it is highly unlikely that this happened at our factory. We manufacture all our foods to strict quality standards and want to reassure people that Coco Pops is safe to eat.

We have not received any more complaints on this issue.”

Share your comments below

  • Quite scary – especially if it was an accident, because that might mean it happened easily.


  • That’s a bit scary. It must come from somewhere.


  • If it’s prescription they would be able to find out who is on it, including anyone in the lady’s house


  • It would’ve had to come from somewhere


  • So they deny that it happened at their factory. Then how in the world it occurred in this pack ? It doesn’t line up.


  • It does make you wonder where it came from and how it got there? Think I am checking all cereals from now on the children might eat.


  • how are they certain it didn’t come from a worker. Are they just taking their word for it?


  • Very concerning ! The tablet could have easily partly dissolved in the milk.


  • No recall??


  • Thankfully Kelloggs always take action very quickly. Hopefully none of the tablet leeched into the milk. Is there a product recall?


  • Glad they are investigating it – not ok at all!


  • How could that possibly have got in there??


  • How on earth? Glad that Kelloggs is taking it seriously and didn’t just offer up a free pack of cereal.


  • I hope this not something similar to the needles in the fruit. :-(

    • Now that is a scary thought indeed!

      • I read about an American woman finding a hook in her tampon. Scary, really scary!!

      • Seriously! :( That is absolutely horrifying!


  • A shocking find,lucky her child did not consume it!


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating