- Difficulty Easy
Healthy Bones Australia have joined forces with Andy Allen to bring you this wonderful smoked salmon rilettes recipe!
This is up there as one of Andy Allen’s favourite dishes! Andy Allen, a sparky from Maitland, Newcastle, rose to culinary fame when he won the 2012 Season 4 of MasterChef Australia. Andy Allen returned to MasterChef Australia in 2020 as a Judge, alongside fellow newbies Jock Zonfrillo, a restaurateur, and Melissa Leong, a food writer.
Ingredients for Andy Allen’s recipe:
- 300g piece of salmon fillet, skinned and boned
- 2 sourdough baguettes
- ¹/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 200g smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 tbs baby capers, finely chopped
- 1 eschalot, finely chopped
- zest of 2 lemons
- ½ bunch dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
- 200ml créme fraîche
- cornichons (small pickled cucumbers) and lemon cheeks to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
How to make Andy Allen’s smoked salmon rilettes:
- Place fresh salmon in a heavy-based saucepan. Pour 1L boiling water over fish and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Stand for 30 minutes to gently poach.
- Meanwhile, heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to medium-high heat. Brush bread with oil and
- Char-grill for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Set aside. Remove cooked salmon from water and pat dry. Remove and discard skin. Flake flesh into a large bowl and cool completely. Add smoked salmon, capers, eschalot, lemon zest, herbs and crème fraiche. Stir until just combined.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve rilettes with bread, cornichons and lemon cheeks.