This apple and coconut porridge is a beautiful way to start the day. The coconut gives it a gorgeous lift, the sunflower seeds complement the coconut and the natural sweetness of the apples means no sugar needs to be added. This is my favourite brekky any day of the week.
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 3/4 cup Oats
- 1 1/2 cup Milk (reserve 1/2 cup to serve)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Large apple (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup Desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower seeds (optional-for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp Honey (optional-for garnish)
- Place one cup milk and vanilla essence in small to medium saucepan and warm slowly (keep temp moderate)
- Add oats and apple and stir quite often to ensure oats don't stick. As porridge begins to thicken add coconut and cinnamon. Continue to stir until desired consistancy, adding more milk if you want a runnier porridge.
- Serve adding a little milk, sunflower seeds and a drizzle of honey.