Coming in with a nice low cal reading of 141 per muffin, this apple cinnamon muffins recipe looks like a winner for a tea time treat!
Ingredients (makes 10)
For the muffins,
- cooking spray
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ cup apple sauce (in jar)
- 1 cup apple grated
- 1 cup apple finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
For the topping,
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200ºC fan forced. Coat 12 cup muffin tray with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Stir bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl.
- Add in apple, cinnamon and skim milk.
- Gently fold flour into mixture in one go.
- DO NOT BEAT as this will make the muffins tough.
- Once flour is just combined (mixture can look a little lumpy) spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins, equally dividing into 10 cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Once cooked and still hot, brush a little water over the top of each muffin and sprinkle with topping.
Nutritional Information (per serve)
- TOTAL(FAT) – 0.6g,
- SATURATED(FAT)- 0.1g
- FIBRE – 2.7g
- PROTEIN – 4.2g
- CARBS – 30.0g
- SUGAR – 11.7g
- SODIUM – 238mg
- KILOJOULES – 592 (cals 141)
- GI RATING – Medium