- Makes 6
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
I am starting to love pastry again, initially I could not get my head around how you could replicate a rich buttery crust with one made of olive oil. Yet this one is satisfying and has a delicious crunch. As for apples, well you can not go past apples for comfort food for the soul.
Ingredients (makes 6 small apple pies)
- 1 1/2 cups Chilled Plain Flour
- 2/3 cup Chilled Olive Oil - place in freezer in takeaway container until congealed
- Up to 1/2 cup Chilled water
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cornflour
- Sprinkle Demera Sugar
- In your kitchen whiz place the flour and whiz in olive oil until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add Apple Cider Vinegar and continue to pulse the whiz.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball. Divide the dough into two, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place all remaining ingredients into a saucepan on low heat for 10 minutes until apple is soft and all ingredients are combined. If too saucy I tend to drain before using mixture as a filling but that is a personal preference.
- Roll out pastry and line the 6 muffin holes. Once lined prick the bottoms with a fork or knife, use some pastry weights and blind bake in pre-heated oven at 160 degrees (fan-forced for 15 minutes).
- Then fill each pie shell and cover with a pastry lid. Pinch the edges together and make a slit in the top for steam to escape. Brush with some almond milk and sprinkle with demera sugar. Bake for 40 minutes on 160 degrees.
Recipe Apple pies with olive oil pastry
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.