- Makes 6
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
I am starting to love pastry again, initially I could not get my head around how you could replicate a rich buttery crust with one made of olive oil. Yet this one is satisfying and has a delicious crunch. As for apples, well you can not go past apples for comfort food for the soul.
Ingredients (makes 6 small apple pies)
- 1 1/2 cups Chilled Plain Flour
- 2/3 cup Chilled Olive Oil - place in freezer in takeaway container until congealed
- Up to 1/2 cup Chilled water
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/3 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cornflour
- Sprinkle Demera Sugar
- In your kitchen whiz place the flour and whiz in olive oil until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add Apple Cider Vinegar and continue to pulse the whiz.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball. Divide the dough into two, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place all remaining ingredients into a saucepan on low heat for 10 minutes until apple is soft and all ingredients are combined. If too saucy I tend to drain before using mixture as a filling but that is a personal preference.
- Roll out pastry and line the 6 muffin holes. Once lined prick the bottoms with a fork or knife, use some pastry weights and blind bake in pre-heated oven at 160 degrees (fan-forced for 15 minutes).
- Then fill each pie shell and cover with a pastry lid. Pinch the edges together and make a slit in the top for steam to escape. Brush with some almond milk and sprinkle with demera sugar. Bake for 40 minutes on 160 degrees.