Not just your average sandwich, but a culinary delight! These easy-to-make crowd-pleasers can be made from the freshest ingredients at very affordable prices.
Perfect for a Baby Shower! Now, that’s something we haven’t seen before!
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 8 sandwiches)
- 4 large free range chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 50g flaked almonds or roughly chopped macadamia nuts, lightly toasted
- 2 sticks celery, very thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, ends trimmed and very thinly sliced
- ½ bunch coriander or parsley, finely chopped
- finely grated rind 1 lemon
- 1 tsp French mustard
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups good quality mayonnaise or a combination of sour cream and Greek style natural yoghurt
- 16 slices of brown, wholemeal or white bread, with crusts trimmed and discarded
- butter for spreading
- soft lettuce leaves or baby rocket (optional)
- To cook the chicken, poach it gently by placing the breasts into a large deep frying pan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer and cook gently for 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the liquid and allow the breasts to completely cool. Shred the chicken into long thin tender strips.
- Combine the shredded chicken, with the toasted almonds, sliced celery, sliced spring onion, chopped herbs, lemon rind, mustard, and salt and pepper with the mayonnaise / yoghurt mixture.
- Butter the bread and spread evenly with the delicious chicken filling, spreading it out so it’s even. Top with lettuce.
- Sandwich the bread together and cut each sandwich into three ‘fingers’. Use a serrated knife for this job as it don’t crush the sandwich. Tie the fingers into bundles with pretty ribbon.
- Make sure those delicious fillings don’t escape and tie a ribbon around each sandwich.