Impress your friends and family with these delightful bacon & chive scones served with lashings of butter (poppy seeds could be replaced with sesame seeds or cheese). A lovely savoury twist on traditional scones!
Ingredients (makes 20 )
- 6 Bacon rashers
- 1 Brown Onion
- 300g Self Raising Flour
- 2 tsp Castor Sugar
- 20 g Butter
- 250 ml Milk
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Chives
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Place flour and sugar in a bowl. Use your fingertips to rub butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Combine milk, chives and bacon mixture in a jug. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add milk mixture. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until just combined. Bring dough together with your hands. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape dough into a 2cm-thick disc. Use a 5cm-diameter round pastry cutter dipped in flour to cut out scones. Place scones, side by side, on tray. Brush with extra milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the top. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Serve with extra butter.