- Serves 6
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cup soda water
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 ripe figs
- 2 small over ripe bananas.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add cream and soda water.
- Mix together to form a dough then add the figs and mashed bananas (I just use the insides of the figs because my son doesn't like chunky bits) and combine.
- Mix as little as possible to keep them fluffy.
- Roll dough out to 2.5cm thick on a floured chopping board and cut into rounds or squares.
- Bake in a pre heated 200°C (180°C fan forced) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until starting to brown on top.
- Allow to cool and eat plain or with butter.
I was in desperate need of kinder friendly snacks. I discovered scones are very healthy if you use wholemeal flour instead of white flour. And I used to make scones with lemonade but the fruit in these makes them sweet enough to just use soda water so there is no refined sugar at all. Its also easy to substitute with pretty much any fruit or veggies you want. They also freeze really well.