- Makes 12
- 40 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
A delicious guilt-free Banana Cake from Symply Too Good To Be True Book 1. At only 105 calories and with less than 1g of fat per serve, this cake is the perfect for the whole family. A great snack for the kids lunch boxes or the perfect cake for a child’s birthday party! Watch out though, it won’t last long!
Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (in jar)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 bananas)
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cup icing sugar (FOR ICING - ICING OPTIONAL)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (FOR ICING - ICING OPTIONAL)
- 1 tablespoon (5g) Flora Light Margarine (FOR ICING - ICING OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven 180ºC fan forced. Beat egg whites and sugar together in medium size mixing bowl for 1 minute. Mix bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) add cinnamon and apple mixture to bowl.
- Stir in mashed banana. Gently fold flour into mixture in one go. DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cake tough. Pour into a round cake tin or loaf tin that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in centre.
- ICING: Mix icing sugar and margarine in a small mixing bowl, slowly add enough juice to make a spreadable consistency. Spread over cake. Sprinkle lemon rind or a little cinnamon over icing for decoration (optional).
Dietitian’s Tip: Un-iced banana cake is a suitable favourite for many people with diabetes. You may like to include this in your eating plan occasionally.