- Serves 4
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
Beetroot Salad is one of those salads that is perfect any time of the year!
This recipe for Beetroot Salad is also a nice basic recipe. Which leaves room for you to stick to the recipe or have a little fun and add ingredients to suit your own tastes.
Wondering which beetroot to use in this Beetroot Salad?
While we would love to tell you to just crack open a tin of baby beetroot to make this salad, you are not going to get the texture that makes a beetroot salad really special. Tinned beetroots tend to be much softer and they also carry quite a strong vinegar taste. Which tends to ruin any other salad dressing you add.
Don’t get us wrong, there is definitely a place for tinned beetroots – served alongside a steak, enjoyed with a piece of battered fish, but not in this lovely beetroot salad.
The beetroots you want to be aiming for are fresh! You’ll always see them in green grocers like Harris Farm and you’ll nearly always see them in supermarkets. Look for beetroot that still have lovely stiff stalks and bright green leaves. This means they’re still fresh.
You might even like to grow your own beetroot. That way, everytime you want to make this beetroot salad, you can nip out the back, grab a fresh beet and away you go!
Other tips for this Beetroot Salad
- Use a nice firm fetta cheese – while we love the super creamy Persian Fetta, it’s probably not right for this beetroot salad
- Use lovely fresh walnuts – give them a quick little toast just before you add them to your salad
- If you don’t have yellow tomatoes, just replace with red. We just like the additional colour they add
So there you have it – a beetroot salad that is delicious, healthy and refreshing!
We think this beetroot salad would sit perfectly with lamb or beef grilled on the barbecue. It would also be happily at home alongside a whole roast chicken!
Anything else you’d add to make this beetroot salad even more sensational?
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 baby beetroots
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves,
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 70g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 punnet red cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 punnet yellow grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- Trim beetroot stems and leaves. Wearing gloves, wash beetroot and then pat dry with an old tea-towel. Place in a baking dish, add garlic cloves and cover tightly with foil.
- Roast for 45 minutes or until skin peels away from beetroot when rubbed. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Wearing gloves, peel and halve each beetroot.
- Gently combine spinach, beetroot, chopped walnuts, chopped tomatoes and goat’s cheese.
- To make the dressing:
- Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar to a cup or small bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins into the bowl and gently mash with a fork. Whisk the dressing with the fork before tossing through the salad.