- Serves 8
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
This Bombay Chicken Biryani is a spicy Indian festive dish which is full of flavour … a really popular family dinner dish!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2-1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 kg Ingham's Chicken thigh pieces
- 2 nos. Onions, large, cut finely
- 2 tablespoons Garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons Ginger paste
- 4 nos. Tomatoes, cut finely
- 4 tablespoons Coriander leaves, cut finely
- 1 packet Shan Bombay Biryani masala
- 1 cup Yoghurt, whipped
- 4 nos. Potatoes, large
- 1/2 cup Fried onion
- 1 cup Oil
- Wash the rice and place in microwave safe container. Add 3-1/4 cups water and microwave for 10 minutes so that the rice is 3/4s cooked.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil and add onions, garlic and ginger pastes and fry till onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and cook till oil separates. Add the chicken thigh pieces and Shan Bombay Biryani mix and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes. Mix the yoghurt in and let it cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Boil the potatoes and when cool, remove the skins and cut into chunks. Fry the potatoes in the remaining oil till they are browned.
- In a medium sized baking dish place a thick layer of rice. Cover with the chicken curry (reserving some gravy for the top) and then another thin layer of rice. Place the fried potatoes at intervals on the top and the fried onions and coriander leaves. Then pour the rest of the chicken gravy over all of them. Bake uncovered at 170 degrees C for 15 minutes and then cover with foil or lid and cook for another 15 minutes till the rice is completely cooked.
Bombay Chicken Biryani is spicy and is usually served with a raita which is prepared from Yoghurt, chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber and coriander leaves and some chat masala (available at Indian stores). To make it easier, use the ready made fried onions available at Asian stores. Instead of chicken, beef, mutton or lamb can be used.