- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
A lovely economical and filling recipe, perfect for summer time!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g Diced bacon
- 1/2 bunch Spring onion
- 8 large Baking potatoes
- 3 Grated carrots
- 250g Grated tasty cheese
- Sour cream - to serve
- Dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Salad - to serve on the side
- Par boil potatoes in a pot of water for approx 20 minutes. Drain. Cut in half and place on a lined baking tray and continue to bake in oven (approx 180 degrees) for a further 10-15 mins or until softened when tested with a sharp knife.
- Fry diced bacon with thinly sliced spring onions until browned.
- Grate carrot and cheese (separately). If desired, mix carrot with mayonnaise or with some grated cabbage and a little coleslaw dressing.
- Remove potatoes from oven and scoop out flesh from each half and add this to a bowl containing most of the bacon (I reserve some for serving) and spring onions. Add in half of the grated cheese and mix well. Add in carrot mix, or reserve this to top the cooked potatoes if you prefer.If desired, add a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes, together with salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Spoon mixture back into potato skins, top with the remaining cheese and place under a grill for approximately 5 mins or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream and salad on the side. If you are using smaller potatoes and they are too small to be easily scooped and refilled, they can be mixed (halved) with the toppings and served whole.
This recipe is easily adaptable depending on which vegetables you have to add. I have also added veg such as capsicum and corn. It can easily be a lovely vegetarian meal - just omit the bacon, and can be spiced up if you wish.