This Caramelised Onion Tart recipe is a really great option for a quick meal or party food that is just a little different. The caramelisation offsets the onion for a beautiful flavour.
Ingredients (makes 24 slices)
- 4 sheets Puff Pastry
- 4 Brown Onions
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Fetta Cheese
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees celcius.
- Peel onions and then finely slice through to create onion rings or strips.
- Gently fry the onion rings in the olive oil (with a pinch of sea salt) until they are soft. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Add the white wine and the brown sugar and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Leave this to cook stirring frequently until all the liquid has completely reduced and the mixture is nicely caramelised.
- Divide the onion mixture evenly between the 4 sheets of pastry and spread out evenly. Sprinkle half the fetta cheese over the onion and then cook until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the rest of the fetta cheese and some baby herbs then slice up into either meal size or finger food size to serve. Best served warm but also quite good cold with a salad.