- Serves 6
- 7.5 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 10 Ingredients
A traditional family recipe, good comfort food and always makes me think of mum’s cooking when I make this.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 kg pork belly, rind removed, cut into big pieces
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed or bruised
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 6-8 eggs, hard boiled
- Combine the shallots, garlic, fish sauce, pepper and pork in a large bowl, allow to marinate for at least an hour.
- Add oil into the inner pot of the Philips All-In-One Cooker, press SAUTE/SEAR HIGH TEMP button and set cooking time for 10 minutes, press start. (Do not close lid). Add the marinated pork and juices and cook til browned.
- Add sugar, and stir until sugar caramelises and takes on some colour. Add the soy sauce and the water.
- Seal lid, cook on SLOW COOK LOW TEMP for 6 hours, press start.
- Around the 4 hour mark, remove lid and skim off any excess fat from the top. Then add your boiled eggs, give it a quick stir so eggs are coated in sauce, and close lid.
- Serve pork and eggs with rice for a hearty and filling meal.
Mum always made this when I was growing up and now I have learn't how to as well. If you would like this more peppery then add an extra tablespoon of pepper, or you can spice it up with some chilli. Also, I've found cooking with coconut water a really nice addition to this and makes the pork extra tender - add this instead of the water, but make sure it is natural coconut water with no added sugars.